Kayleigh Scannell
EDU572
Professor Warham
Readings from Diagnostic Teaching of Reading, by Barbra J. Walker
Learning Log # 2 Chapters 3
“Realizing that learning is a social activity, the diagnostic teacher creates a classroom that invites all cultures, all types of learners, and all types of disabilities to engage in literate activities as she honors their personal histories.”
In my student teaching placement, I was teaching a 7th grade diverse English classroom with multiple special education students. I had the students form a big circle with their desks to give a more comfortable feel. We were working on reading stories from around the world, one of which was about Native Americans. In the class was a Native American student who volunteered to teach the class about some of his native cultures and traditions. This appealed to the students and hooked their interest to the story and reading.
“Increasing the wait time from 1 second to 3 seconds positively affects the number of student responses as well as the organization of the response”
I remember doing this specifically. I would tell the students not to raise their hands right away. I would tell them I was going to ask questions and to think of an answer. Then, I would tell the students when they could raise their hands to answer. Some students preferred to write down there answers so they would not forget.
“As she continues to demonstrate this active meaning search, the teacher illustrates the self-questioning process that goes through the mind of an active reader.”
My 7th graders were working on finding context-clues. I would have worksheets that helped explain how to find them and also provide them with examples of their own to do. I would show the students by modeling and using the self-questioning process however, I would ask the students for their ideas and connection. Together as a class we would do a few, then they would independently do a few, and lastly we would join together and not only review the answers but we would review the process of how we got the answers.
“Using the unique strengths of the individual learners in her classroom, she reduces stress for each learner”
Some students are extremely sensitive with their reading levels especially when we do read-aloud. In fact, some students love it because they can show of how well they read while other dread being called on. When I call on a student I usually give the smaller or easier paragraph to the weaker students, this helps them gain some confidence and feel comfortable reading out loud. By having good teacher-student relationships I am sensitive to the individual’s differences.
“The diagnostic teacher engages students by personally responding to literature, discussing her own personal change as a result of reading and writing experiences”
I feel this quote is extremely important to the students because then need to hear and see that literacy is a hard process and that reading to some people does not come easy. I would tell my classes that it took me a while to read (and purposely leave out the grade because I wouldn’t want any student to become frustrated). I make a personal connection to the students and try to relate to them and that together we can become better readers. I also tell them that every day they read the get better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kayleigh,
ReplyDeleteThank you for the reminder about wait time in the second entry of your learning log. This is something I am working on. I try to keep my lesson fast paced and interactive, but having time to process and form answers is important for students and something I need to remain very aware of. I think giving kids time to think before they respond is not uniquely for special education students but certainly necessary.
Jennifer Jones