Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Learning Log Chapter 7

Kayleigh Scannell
EDU572
Professor Warham
Readings from Diagnostic Teaching of Reading, by Barbra J. Walker
Learning Log # 5 Chapter 7

“Prior to instruction, the diagnostic teacher decides on certain task conditions that will enhance learning for a particular student.”

This is a strategy that I started to use in the middle of my student teaching because I became more and more comfortable with planning. I realized that the more I planned for each of my special education students the better prepared I would be for them. The same goes for assessing a test, if one was to think out and plan certain tasks for certain students then the comfort rate may increase and also it may increase learning and productivity.


“After the baseline data have been established, the teacher designs a diagnosis lesson based on her hypotheses about the student’s reading.”

This approach establishes the conditions of learning and where to begin based on the instructional lesson. It helps the diagnostic teacher select which technique would work best with the student. By using the baseline from the students reading performance the teacher has a better understanding of where to focus and concentrate towards. The teacher may make modifications that are based on the students needs during the instruction. This good part is that by doing all the tests the teacher will be able to assess the student on the spot and focus the instruction towards him or her one- on-one.


“The diagnostic teacher assesses reading and changes as a result of instruction by selecting a reading passage that is moderately difficult”

The idea it to find a passage that is moderately difficult because it will provide the best assessment. If the story is too easy then you need to do another one until it becomes moderately difficult. If the story is too hard then the student will be frustrated from the beginning and another story will have to be selected. Overall the best passage to select is a moderately difficult because it will provide the most accurate assessment.



“Next she instructed the lesson using the reciprocal teaching, returning to concepts missed during the first section of the text to model the process and to clear up misconceptions about the story”

This is a great idea because students learn best from their own personal mistakes. When the diagnostic teacher goes back and models the process it will provide a demonstration of how to go back and check to make sure you understand. Also it is a strategy that will help the student with self-corrections. I used to always go over worksheet or questions that I had my students complete but I would also ask the students how they found the answer in addition to the correct one.




“By teaching the lesson using selected materials and techniques, the diagnostic teacher assess the student’s learning as she teaches and evaluates reading growth as the result of her instruction”

The purpose of using selected materials and techniques during the diagnostic lesson is to record and track the changes and or improvements of the student and also monitor progress while instructing. I think that it is very important to assess the student as much as possible by watching behaviors and observing. During instructional time is a great time to watch and see the student’s body language. It is crucial to know if you have the student with you or not and how to adjust and or make changes to redirect him.

No comments:

Post a Comment